Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Purity Farms Ghee

Nothing ever has, nor ever will sound as appealing to me as pure fat. I consume it in an ever expanding assortment of shapes, colors, flavors, and forms. You might call me a fat connoisseur. I regularly consume coconut oil, cod liver oil, olive oil, butter, and now ghee in large amounts (among others).

Ghee can be thought of as the gold of the fat world. It truly belongs to a higher, more valuable order than other fats. The analogy also works, though, because it simply has a rich golden color, particularly noticeable when in liquid form. 

Widely used and highly valued in India, ghee is a practical way to preserve butter as it won't spoil at room temperature. Ghee is made by heating butter to remove the fat solids, producing the golden and flavorful clarified form of butter.

Recently I have been eating Purity Farms Ghee. The product from Purity Farms is made from the milk of organically razed and grazed cows. There is no transfatty acids or oxidized cholesterol. Additionally it is lactose, casein, and salt free. 

I've found myself having to ration the stuff, because otherwise it would be gone in a few days. For breakfast I use a mixture of half coconut oil, half ghee to coat the pan for making eggs. This is usually accompanied by a piece of toast with a hearty coating of ghee. It also adds a great flavor to vegetables in a stir-fry dish. 

No comments: